29 June 2023
The Early Learning and Care Council of Australia (ELACCA) congratulates the ACT Government on their biggest investment in early learning and care, through its 2023-24 Budget.
Access to one day a week of free three-year-old preschool is a great step for families in Canberra. ‘We know that access to quality early childhood education in the two years before school has lifelong benefits, and is an excellent investment from Government’, said Elizabeth Death, CEO of ELACCA.
The ACT Government’s investment of more than $50 million over the next four years to improve equitable access to quality early learning will increase the number of preschool programs delivered through early childhood education and care centres by degree-qualified early childhood teachers.
‘Increased investment in quality early learning is precisely the right policy for the times.’ Ms Death said.
‘Most importantly, greater funding gives children better access to a quality early learning program, delivered by a qualified early childhood teacher, which sets them up for a life of learning and achievement.’
Importantly, ELACCA commends investment from the ACT Government’s 2023-24 Budget to uplift our quality early childhood education and care workforce, including:
- a comprehensive survey of the ACT’s early childhood education and care workforce capacity and needs.
- a professional learning and development resource portal for early childhood education and care services.
- establishment of Professional Learning Network and collaborative learning communities for early childhood educators across the ACT.
- partnering with the sector to deliver wrap-around supports (including study financial assistance and paid leave), and coaching and mentoring, for individuals undertaking early childhood education qualifications
- targeted scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander educators working in Koori Preschool to increase their qualifications.
ELACCA looks forward to working with the ACT Government in the implementation of these timely and important initiatives.
For more information please contact:
Early Learning and Care Council of Australia (ELACCA)
PO Box 348
Annandale NSW 2038
Mob: 0498 228 762
The Early Learning and Care Council of Australia (ELACCA) was established to promote the value of quality early learning and care as an integral part of Australia’s education system.
Our 19 CEO members include some of the largest early learning providers in the country, representing both not-for-profit and for-profit services. ELACCA members operate 1,984 long day care services, 310 preschool/kindergarten services and 92 OSHC services, covering every state and territory. They offer one-quarter of all the long day care places in Australia. Together, our members serve 369,776 children and their families, and employ more than 56,708 staff.
As well as promoting the value of quality early learning and the need for greater public investment, ELACCA advocates for the right of all children to access quality early learning and care, particularly children facing disadvantage. We do this by drawing on the knowledge and practical experience of our members and representing their views to decision makers in government, the media and the public.